Ready in just 20 minutes, these easy vegan tofu wraps are filled with a quick and delicious glazed tofu, crunchy lettuce, red pepper and avocado. Perfect for lunch on the go or a quick dinner!
We're thrilled to share our first vegan wrap recipe with you! The main filling is made from firm tofu, cubed or crumbled, then fried and well seasoned with a sticky, flavourful coating.
This tofu filling is so tasty and comes together really quickly, and that's most of the work done! The seasoning adds all the savoury, salty and spicy flavours you will need for these vegan wraps.
These tofu wraps are simple, so easy to customise and full of flavour. We hope you enjoy them!
Here's our tips for choosing your ingredients:
We recommend using a block of extra firm tofu. You can simply drain it and gently squeeze to remove excess liquid.
If your tofu is less firm, then you can press it in a handy tofu press like this, or wrap it in a tea towel and stack weights on top for at least 30 minutes to remove the excess water and improve the texture.
You don’t want to use silken tofu for this recipe as it is too soft.
Spices and seasonings
When cooking with tofu we love to flavour it up with spices! In this recipe we use a fajita inspired mix of spices:
- smoked paprika
- ground cumin
- garlic powder
- dried oregano
- black pepper
- and cayenne
A spoonful of nutritional yeast adds a pop of umami to the tofu, and a touch of sugar brings it all together.
Some soy sauce (this organic brand is our fave) and tomato paste / puree added towards the end of cooking, gives the tofu a delicious sticky glaze.
We love a good amount of crunch in our wraps, so we team up our yummy tofu bits with some crunchy lettuce. Crisp varieties such as Cos or Romaine lettuce work great.
We also add some pointed red pepper, also known as Romano, which adds a fresh and sweet note.
A ripe avocado brings it’s deliciously creamy texture to the mix, and a couple of sprigs of cilantro / coriander leaves bring a zesty tang.
Step by step
You'll find the full recipe at the end of the post, but here’s a visual guide on how to make these easy tofu wraps:
Step 1 - Fry the tofu cubes until light brown and starting to crisp up.
Step 2 - Stir in the dry seasonings and keep frying for 2 minutes.
Step 3 - Add the soy sauce and tomato paste / puree and stir them in well. Keep frying for a couple more minutes.
Step 4 - Assemble the wraps - see folding tips below!
Top tips for wrap folding
Warm your wraps first - slightly warmed wraps are more supple and easy to roll. You can gently heat them for 10-30 seconds in a microwave. Place them on a plate with a sprinkle of water, and put another plate on top. Alternatively, briefly warm a wrap on each side in a large pan on the stove.
Don’t overfill - I know it’s tempting to pile all the fillings in, but if you want a wrap that holds together well, then getting the amount of filling just right is key.
Tuck that filling in - When you are halfway through rolling, push the filling back into the centre of the wrap before rolling all the way up. This helps to get a tight wrap that transports and cuts well.
To make a closed wrap, start by folding both ends of the wrap inwards. For an open wrap, just do one end.
Start rolling up by folding the bottom flap over the filling, then tuck the filling in and finish rolling the wrap.
Variations and substitutions
You can easily make these tofu wraps gluten free by using tamari sauce in place of the soy sauce and gluten free tortilla wraps.
Change up the veggies to suit what you have in the fridge - they’re great for using up odds and ends! Here’s some ideas of what veggies go great in wraps:
- Cucumber sticks
- Carrot, grated or in thin sticks
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded red cabbage
- Microgreens or sprouts
- Fresh herbs, such as basil
- Leftover roast vegetables, such as butternut squash or sweet potato
Serving and storage
We like these wraps best served fresh, when the veggies are at their crispiest.
If you don't plan on eating them immediately, store in the fridge, or with a freezer pack in a lunch bag.
More vegan tofu recipes
We absolutely love cooking with tofu here at Vegan on Board. It’s a brilliant source of protein, and can be used and flavoured in so many ways.
Easy Tofu Wraps
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 block (280 g / 10 oz) extra firm tofu finely cubed or crumbled
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pinch cayenne
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree / paste
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce
For the wraps
- 4 large tortilla wraps
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 small lettuce shredded
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 small handful fresh coriander / cilantro roughly chopped
- Heat up the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat. Add the cubed or crumbled tofu and fry for about 5 to 8 minutes stirring occasionally, until the tofu is lightly browned and just starting to get crispy.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Stir in the dried seasonings: smoked paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, oregano, black pepper, cayenne pepper, sugar and nutritional yeast. Fry for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the soy sauce and tomato puree/paste to the pan and stir through to distribute evenly. Fry for a couple more minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Lay a tortilla on a flat surface, cover a section down the centre with lettuce, strips of red pepper, avocado slices, some of the tofu filling and a sprinkle of coriander leaves/cilantro.
- To make a closed wrap, start by folding both ends of the wrap inwards. For an open wrap, just do one end.
- Start to roll the wrap by folding the bottom flap over the filling, tuck the filling in and then continue rolling the wrap to finish.
- Continue with remaining wraps and enjoy!
This information is calculated per serving and is an estimate only.