Kale and mushroom pasta seasoned with soy sauce, garlic and fiery ginger. This easy vegan pasta dish is one of our favourite 15 minute meals!
At this time of year we are longing for comforting winter food, to warm us up and help to ward off colds! And this vegan mushroom and kale pasta is full of ingredients that do exactly that.
One day not long ago while working away on our Vegan Egg Fried Rice post, we realised we were getting really hungry. (That's what happens when you write about food all the time!) We were craving something really tasty, but time was of the essence.
Sophie quickly whipped up some pasta with some things she found in the fridge - and tada! This delicious and super-satisfying, Asian inspired kale and mushroom pasta was conceived. It's so easy and tasty, that we knew it had to be the next recipe we shared with you all! And as it happens, it is also really good for you.
This mushroom and kale pasta is so comforting and nutritious...
Kale is absolutely packed with nutrients - so many so that it's known for being a superfood. It's high in Vitamin K (known to help wound healing) and in Vitamin A (which helps boost the immune system). Kale also has high levels of iron and calcium, so it's awesome for vegans. I don't know about you, but we also find that kale is our favourite leafy green veg because of its taste too.
Did you know that mushrooms are one of the best vegan sources of Vitamin D? You can even boost the amount they contain by leaving them in a light, sunny spot. In the winter months with the lack of sunshine it can be hard to get enough for people to get enough Vitamin D. So mushrooms can be a great boost for more Vitamin D in your diet.
Finally, ginger has been long used for its health benefits - to relieve pain, soothe digestion and reduce inflammation. It's fiery flavour has a warming effect and adds a fresh zing to the dish.
You can use any type of vegan pasta for this recipe. Here, we've used penne as that's what we can get at our local zero waste shop. But you can use your favourite kind pasta or whatever you have on hand. Wholemeal pasta works really well too.
It's also great with noodles or gluten free alternatives. If you want to make this recipe gluten free, use gluten free soy sauce or tamari.
You can substitute other green leafy veg for the kale. Why not try chard, spinach, or pak choy.
We just love mushrooms! You too? Try our other delicious vegan mushroom recipes:
Kale & Mushroom Pasta with Ginger
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2.5 cups (200 g) mushrooms sliced
- 4 cm ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 cups (100 g) kale (or cavalo nero) chopped
- 1.5 cups (150 g) pasta or noodles
- ground black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta or noodles of your choice according to instructions.
- In the meantime, heat up oil in a large frying pan and add the onion.
- Fry for a couple of minutes, then add the mushrooms, ginger and garlic, and stir.
- Add the soy sauce and continue to cook on medium heat until the mushrooms are cooked down (and have shrunk in size).
- Stir in the kale and cook for a couple of minutes, or until it has wilted down but still looks fresh and green.
- Stir in the cooked and drained pasta, and serve with ground black pepper to add to taste.
Thanks for visiting us at Vegan on Board! If you wanna keep following our vegan adventure join our mailing list for all the latest recipes and news:
Sophie and Paul