This potato and lentil dahl is a quick one pot meal. Ready in 25 mins on the stove or just 15 mins if you use a pressure cooker. It’s simple, spicy and nourishing!
This one pot meal gives you all you need
Aren’t one pot meals great? They are perfect when you are limited on cooking space (like we are in our campervan), energy efficient and require less washing up!
We think the key to a good one pot meal is that it ticks all those nutrition and flavour boxes. In our onepot dahl the potatoes give you the carbs, the lentils the protein, and the spices the rich taste. The addition of raisins gives a really nice sweet burst of flavour to complement the spiciness. And stirring in spinach at the end gives you a good dose of healthy greens.
We really love red lentils, as they cook so quickly and don’t need to be soaked before cooking. They are simple, quick and nutritious. We buy them in bulk, that’s how much we love them. Find out more about how awesome red lentils are in our Red Lentil Dal of Love recipe.
Cooking this potato and lentil dahl with spinach
If you are using a pressure cooker, then you can make this potato and lentil dahl in under 15 minutes! Just the right thing when you want to spend more time enjoying your meal than cooking it. If you are not using a pressure cooker yet, then go and get one now! They are not expensive, easy to use and will transform the way you cook! Not convinced yet? Read our Five Reasons Why You Should Get A Pressure Cooker.
You start cooking this tasty meal by frying the onion, then adding the garlic, ginger and spices. Frying these for just another minute or two is what brings all the flavour to this dish!
Next chuck in the potatoes, lentils, water, salt and raisins. Just give it all a good stir before popping the lid on and bringing up to high pressure. All you need to do then is cook for 5 minutes, then switch off and let the pressure release naturally. If you are not using a pressure cooker, just bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once done, simply stir in the lemon juice and spinach before serving.
The potato and lentil dahl needs no side dish – no rice, no bread or anything – as it packs all the carbs in the potatoes to be a filling and nutritious meal. And so tasty too!
Change it up!
- Got tinned tomatoes or canned coconut milk? Add some for more flavour.
- Not got all the individual spices? Use 4 tsp of your fave curry powder instead
- Fancy a change from potatoes? Use sweet potatoes instead…
- Like things a bit hotter? Add a fresh chilli in when you add the spices.
- Want a bit more texture? Sprinkle some toasted nuts, seed or whole spices on top.
Love lentils as much as we do? Try our:
Spanish Lentil Stew – it’s smoky and rich
Vegan Lentil Risotto with Butternut Squash – a delicious protein rich dish
Vegan Lentil Ragu – perfect for pastas, lasagne, and more!
Potato and Lentil Dahl with Spinach
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cm ginger minced
- 4 medium (1 ) potatoes cubed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp (4 tsp) turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cardamon
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (180 g) red lentils
- 3 cups (600 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (40 g) raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 cups spinach
- garam masala to serve
- In a large saucepan, fry the chopped onion in the coconut oil until they are starting to brown.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger, cook for another minute.
- Add the spices: cumin, turmeric, coriander, cardamon, cinnamon, cayenne pepper. Stir and fry for another minute.
- Add the cubed potato, red lentils, water, raisins and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes with the lid on. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the spinach and lemon juice. Take off the heat and let sit for a couple of minutes before serving.
Pressure Cooker Method
- Follow the steps 1 – 4 above, but when adding the water, add only 2 1/2 cups instead of 3.
- Seal the pressure cooker lid and bring up to high pressure.
- Pressure cook for 5 minutes, then take off the heat and let pressure release naturally.
- Stir in the spinach and lemon juice. Let sit for a couple of minutes before serving.
Coming back from a hike in the rocky canyon of the Douro National Park in Portugal, we made this flavourful potato and lentil dahl. What we needed was a simple, quick and nourishing meal to refuel our bodies. And this spicy one pot dish was just perfect. There’s nothing like sitting back enjoying tasty food surrounded by the beauty of nature.
With love from Portugal,
Sophie & Paul