With just four ingredients, you can whip these vegan chocolate pots up super fast. All you need is dark chocolate, soy milk, hazelnuts and brown sugar. Perfect for when you need a quick impressive dessert, or when those chocolate cravings come calling.
For this recipe, the quality of the chocolate really makes a difference. Choose a fairtrade dark chocolate with a minimum 70% cocoa content. You might also like to try choosing a chocolate bar made with single origin beans to really bring out the flavour. For this recipe I used chocolate made with cocoa from the Dominican Republic, which has rich fruity notes and is probably my favourite chocolate flavour.
Not all vegan chocolate is marked with the Vegan Trademark, so check the ingredients on the back to see if there are any animal products like milk powder. In the EU, dairy and other allergens will be marked in bold. On our travels around Europe I’ve learnt to recognise milk in quite a lot of languages!
You can enjoy these vegan chocolate pots either hot or cold. I like to have them in the van after a hike to warm my hands up and reward my efforts!
Served hot they are like the super thick hot chocolate of many European countries. When I first visited Bratislava as a teenager I was amazed by the hot chocolate I was served. Thick, rich and nutty and to be eaten with a spoon. Now that’s proper hot chocolate! If you ever visit Prague I recommend you visit the Choco Cafe and try one of their hot chocolates. There’s a whole menu and lots of vegan options too 🙂
To serve them cold, chill the chocolate mixture in the fridge for at least 1 hour, and then top with the hazelnuts. This keeps their caramelised texture nice and crunchy. If you’ve never caramelised nuts before it’s actually quick and easy, all you need to do is keep an close eye on them and stir regularly so they don’t burn.
Spoons at the ready, let’s do this!
Vegan Chocolate Pots with Caramelised Hazelnuts
- 60 g dark chocolate fairtrade
- 120 ml soy milk (half a cup)
- 1 tbsp chopped hazelnuts
- 1 heaped tsp brown sugar
- Warm the hazelnuts in a pan for about a minute, then sprinkle the sugar over them and turn up the heat
- Stirring regularly, continue toasting them until the sugar has melted and the nuts are browned
- Set aside to cool and crisp up
- Chop the chocolate
- Heat the soy milk in a pan until just starting to bubble
- Take off the heat and stir in the chocolate until smooth
- Pour into your containers and top with the caramelised nuts
- Enjoy your seriously chocolatey treat!