Fluffy, crisp pizza crust with a sweet delicious filling! Our vegan dessert calzone are fun to make and super tasty to eat.
Did someone say calzone for dessert?!
Maybe you’ve had a savoury calzone before? Basically it’s a folded over pizza filled with veggies, bolognese, cheese sauce… We usually use a homemade soy mince bolognese, or our vegan lentil ragu and a vegan cheese sauce. But dessert calzone are on another level!
I first got the idea for making these vegan dessert calzones from my niece and nephew, who used the leftover dough from making pizza, to make mini calzones filled with chocolate.
Why we love calzone so much…
- Fluffy and crisp crust
- Filled with deliciousness!
- Infinitely customisable
- No plate needed
- No oven required
For us the best thing about these vegan dessert calzone is that you can make them so easily without an oven. This makes them the perfect food for when we are travelling in our campervan or out cooking on a campfire. If you encounter us around a campfire, you can pretty much guarantee that we are making calzone (if not gleefully stuffing our faces with them at that very moment!)
For another fun dessert we love to make over the fire when we are camping, check out our vegan skillet brownie.
How to make a calzone
It’s pretty simple really. Make a batch of our easy pizza dough (So easy you don’t even need to knead it!) Then stretch the dough out into ovals. Fill with tasty stuff, seal the edges and then cook! Check out the recipe card below for full instructions and tips.
What to fill your vegan dessert calzone with…
Here’s three of our favourite vegan sweet calzone fillings:
- Peaches n Cream Calzone, made with coconut cream from the top of a can of full fat coconut milk. You can use fresh or tinned peaches.
- Apple Strudel Calzone – inspired by the classic dessert of Paul’s Austrian homeland.
- And Chocolate and Raspberry Calzone – my personal favourite!
We encourage you to experiment with different fillings. Just don’t forget to tell us in the comments, or tag @veganonboard on instagram in a pic, so we can try it too!
Peaches & Cream
1 peach or nectarine sliced
1 tbsp coconut cream
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Chocolate & Raspberry
1 small handful of raspberries
4 squares dark chocolate
Vegan Dessert Calzone
- 1/4 batch easy pizza dough
Peaches and Cream
- 1 peach or nectarine sliced
- 1 tbsp coconut cream from the top of a can of coconut milk
- 1/2 apple finely chopped
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Chocolate and Raspberry
- 4 squares vegan dark chocolate chopped
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- First make a batch of our easy no knead pizza dough. A whole batch is enough for 4 calzone. For the two of us we often use half the dough for a pizza or 2 savoury calzones, and then each have a sweet calzone for dessert. The filling amount in the recipe is for 1 calzone – simply use the serving adjustment to scale up.
Shaping the calzone
- When you have cut the dough into the number of calzone you are making, gently stretch it out with your hands until you have an oval. Place on a well floured board.
- Cover half of the dough with your chosen fillings (leaving space around the edges), then fold over the other half of the dough on top. Use a fork to press the dough together at the edges and seal it.
- Continue until all your calzones are filled.
Cooking the calzone
- In the oven: Preheat oven and baking sheet on top/bottom heat 200°C. Gently slide the calzone from the board onto the preheated baking sheet. Cook for 10-15 minutues until the crust is cooked and golden brown.
- On the hob: Heat a heavy bottomed or cast iron pan on high heat for a minute, then slide the calzone into it. Cook on medium/high heat until the underside is crisp and brown, approximately 5 minutes. Then turn over the calzone and cook on the other side for another 5 minutes until crisp and fully cooked.
- On the campfire: Use a cast iron pan or skillet. You can either cook directly on hot coals or on a grill above flames. Turn over when the base is crusty and browning, and cook until both sides are fully cooked.
We hope you enjoy our vegan dessert calzone as much as we do! As I write this, there is a batch of dough rising just next to me. We will be cooking our calzone tonight on a little island in the middle of the Danube river! Perfection.
WIth love from Austria!
Sophie and Paul