We have apples everywhere at the moment and these spicy, crispy and chewy apple rings are our favourite way to preserve them. This recipe is perfect for using up a variety of eating apples, from small soft red ones, to big green crispy ones. Foraged apples and windfalls also work well.
Crispy and Chewy Apple Rings
- ground cinnamon optional
- ground ginger optional
- ground cardamon optional
- Slice apples into thin slices (approx 2mm) from top to bottom, removing the seeds as you go, and any brown parts of the apple
- Lay the slices on a well greased or parchment lined baking tray
- Sprinkle the spices over the slices (Try saying that twice ;-))We use 1tsp of spices per tray. You can mix the spices all together, or keep them seperate for different flavours of apple rings.
- Cook at 140°C for 45mins, turning the slices over after 20mins stops them from sticking to the tray
- Turn the oven off and leave them to cool, but steal a couple of extra crispy ones to eat straight away!
- Store in an airtight container. They will keep for months.