Could this dish say autumn any louder!? This vegan pumpkin curry with apples makes the most of seasonal produce to create an easy comforting dinner.
This vegan pumpkin curry is:
- Ready in under 30 mins
- Simple with just 10 ingredients
- Vegan, dairy free and gluten free
- A bit creamy, a bit spicy, a bit sweet and…
- The ultimate autumn curry!
Pumpkin and apples – in a curry?!
YEP! You read that right. These two autumn favourites go amazingly together. The pumpkin gives a hearty richness and the apples give a sweet touch. Apples in curry is not new to us – our Infamous Apple Curry is actually one of our most loved recipes. The unusual combination of spicy and sweet is what makes it special. And that same special flavour comes through in this vegan pumpkin curry!
No peeling needed!
We love to make quick easy recipes when we are travelling in our campervan. We also try and reduce the amount of food waste we produce, both for environmental and practical reasons. So we try to avoid peeling as much as possible! Lots of nutrients are found in the skin of vegetables and fruit too, so they are worth saving.
We never peel our apples, just give them a good wash and always try to source them organically or pesticide free. We currently have an entire crate of apples which we rescued from going to waste in the van!
Squash and pumpkin peel is also edible, but can become unpleasant if the squash is too mature. Our test to see if it is good to use without peeling is to press our fingernail into the skin and see if it breaks. If it’s very tough, or your fingernail can’t get through it, then it’s probably going to be too tough to eat when it’s cooked. Otherwise you don’t need to bother to peel your pumpkin for this curry!
What to serve this vegan pumpkin curry with
This pumpkin curry goes really well with our Garlic and Coconut Naan Bread, as pictured. We ate this on a chilly autumn day in the mountains and it was the ultimate comfort food! Exactly what we needed after a long hike.
You can also serve our vegan pumpkin curry with brown rice or quinoa. As a side dish our Red Lentil Dal with Potatoes and Raisins goes really well.
Top the curry with toasted cashew nuts or pumpkin seeds for a nice crunch!
Try our other delicious vegan Autumn recipes!
Vegan Pumpkin Curry with Apples
- 3 cups pumpkin (1/2 a small pumpkin)
- 2 apples
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsps nuts or seeds e.g. cashews, pumpkin seeds
- Chop the pumpkin and apples into small chunks
- Finely chop the onion and garlic
- In a saucepan, melt the coconut oil and fry the onion until it turns translucent.
- Then add the garlic, pumpkin and apple and fry for another minute.
- Add the coconut milk, water and spices and then cook with a lid on until the pumpkin is tender and fully cooked. This takes approximately 15-20 mins.
- Toast the nuts or seeds in a small frying pan until starting to brown and then top the curry with them.