Just five ingredients and 10 minutes and you can have this creamy wild garlic soup on the table!
Our vegan wild garlic soup is:
- Fresh tasting
- Really quick to make
- The perfect way to use foraged wild garlic leaves
Wild garlic is a green leafy plant with a taste like a spring onion and garlic. You can buy wild garlic leaves in spring markets, but the best way to get hold of it, is to forage it yourself. It’s fun and it’s free! Head over to our post How to Forage Wild Garlic for all our tips on how to get your hands on this special spring ingredient.
What makes our wild garlic soup so good?
I first tasted wild garlic soup in Austria, where it is known as ‘bärlauchsuppe’. It was good, but not quite as glorious as this recipe! Most recipes for wild garlic soup contain potato, but here we keep it really simple. Leaving out the potato really lets the flavour of the wild garlic shine! It also means that you don’t need to cook the soup so long, which means you keep more of the wild garlic’s fresh taste.
All you need is a can of coconut milk, a bunch of wild garlic leaves, an onion, olive oil and stock powder. The coconut milk makes the texture really rich and creamy.
The best way to start making a soup (or indeed almost any meal I think!) is by frying onions. For this recipe you want to fry the chopped onion in olive oil until it has started to brown, then add the chopped wild garlic leaves. Then chuck in the coconut milk and an extra half a can’s worth of water. (this is an excellent way to make sure you make the most of all the coconut milk left in the can!) Then stir in the stock powder.
We use Marigold Vegan Bouillon Powder, which is also gluten free so really handy when you are cooking for a variety of diets. It’s also a simple, quick way to add flavour, without needing to use lots of different ingredients. We also like this particular one as its less salty than others. (Plus we buy a big tub of it so it’s way better value!)
When the soup has simmered for a few minutes, it’s ready to blend. Simple as that!
If you’ve got wild garlic left after you’ve tried our lovely soup, then we also have these tasty vegan wild garlic recipes for you to try…
Creamy Wild Garlic Soup
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large handful wild garlic
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tsp stock powder
- Chop the onion, and then fry it in olive oil in a saucepan
- Wash the wild garlic very well and then chop it finely
- When the onion is browned, add the wild garlic and continue to cook for another minute until the leaves begin to wilt
- Add the can of coconut milk (you can scoop of some of the cream to swirl into the soup after)
- Fill up the can halfway with water (200ml) and then add that into the pan as well
- Lastly add the stock powder and stir in
- Simmer for 4 minutes
- Puree the soup with a hand blender and salt and pepper to taste
- Serve the soup with a spoonful of the reserved coconut cream, a sprinkle of wild garlic flowers, and perhaps even a spoonful of wild garlic pesto!
We hope you enjoy our wild garlic soup recipe!
Sophie and Paul